Sense About Science has launched an updated edition of Making Sense of Screening — “to address the unrealistic expectations of what screening can deliver”.
- rarely benefits all sections of the population.
- can have negative effects, so it needs to be targeted at those most likely to benefit.
- can identify some of the people who have a disease but it cannot prevent disease.
- cannot give you a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer and an ‘all clear’ does not mean you will not go on to develop the disease.
- screening tests differ from diagnostic tests.