One of the MJA’s main aims is to encourage aspiring medical journalists. We know how hard it can be for newcomers to establish themselves. This is why we are launching our mentorship scheme for journalists specializing in health and medical journalism. NB: Please note this scheme is for MJA members (see information below on joining the MJA)
Formed in 1967, the MJA has a membership of more than 450 health and medical writers, broadcasters and editors. It promotes excellence in journalism, provides networking opportunities, hosts meetings and runs a prestigious annual awards programme.
Are you an experienced health and medical journalist and would be willing to act as an MJA mentor? Find out more and register your interest
MJA Mentoring Scheme
How will the programme work?
- We will assign you a mentor who will discuss with you their preferred way of talking — for example, by phone or Zoom or Teams or face to face if possible.
How should I prepare for a session?
- We recommend that you do some research on your assigned mentor. It may help to know their background.
- Come prepared with specific questions.
What if I cannot make a session?
- Let your mentor know ASAP. Our mentors are all volunteers giving their time for nothing.
- Conversely, you should appreciate that your mentor may not always be available at allocated times on account of the job. Their deadlines will take precedence. Flexibility is the cornerstone in any mentor-mentee relationship.
Will I have more than one session with my mentor?
- This is something to discuss with them. Some mentor-mentee relationships may be ongoing; others may be short-lived.
Are there any no-go areas for mentees?
- Please be aware that a mentor cannot/won’t commission work or provide/recommend a mentee for a job.
Can I join the MJA to make use of the scheme?
Please note this scheme is for early career journalists and not students.
MJA Mentee Application Process:
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: This information will help us to match you as far as possible with an appropriate mentor. For example, if you are pursuing a broadcasting career, we will try to match you to a broadcaster.
FURTHER INFORMATION: Is there any other information about you that will help us to help you?
QUESTIONS: If you have further questions do include in your email